How I Make Half-Cooked Rotis with a Roti Maker For Chappathis and Puris -My Weekly Meal Prep Hack
﷽
How I Make Half-Cooked Rotis with a Roti Maker For Chappathis and Puris -My Weekly Meal Prep Hack
If you've been following me for a while, you probably know that I love recipes and little kitchen hacks that make everyday cooking easier. One of my favourite meal prep routines is making a batch of half-cooked rotis and storing them in the refrigerator.
These rotis are incredibly versatile. I cook them whenever I need soft chapathis, fry them into crispy puffed puris, or use the cooked as wraps for shawarma, tacos, quesadillas, enchiladas and so much more. They're always a lifesaver on busy days.
The best part? You don't need to follow exact measurements. I usually eyeball everything depending on how much I want to make. The recipe below is simply a guide.
The Dough
I like using a combination of white flour and brown flour because that's how my kids enjoy them. However, you can make them using only white flour or only brown flour if you prefer.
Ingredients
- 3 cups white flour
- 4 cups brown flour
- Salt, as needed
- ⅓ cup yoghurt plus the liquid (whey) from the yoghurt (this helps keep the chapathis wonderfully soft)
- 1 tbsp ghee or oil
- 2¾-3 cups water, or as needed
The Secret to Soft Chapathis
The most important tip is the dough consistency.
Unlike regular chapathi dough, this dough should be very soft and slightly sticky. The softer the dough, the thinner and softer your chapathis will be.
Making the Dough
I use my kitchen machine to knead the dough, but you can knead it by hand if you prefer.
- Add all the ingredients to the bowl.
- Knead until you have a smooth, very soft, sticky dough.
- Cover and let it rest for 30 minutes.
Dividing the Dough
- Transfer the dough onto a generously floured surface. I usually use a large plate, which makes handling the sticky dough much easier.
Since the dough is quite sticky, I use a dough scraper to divide it before rolling it into balls.
- Roll into balls according to the size of chapathi you want.
Making Half-Cooked Rotis in the Roti Maker
- Preheat your roti maker well.
A few things I've learned:
- If the roti maker is too hot, the dough can break apart and splatter.
- If it isn't hot enough, the rotis won't spread properly and won't be thin.
- Once fully heated: Gently flatten a dough ball with your fingers.
- Place it slightly above the centre of the roti maker.
- Close the lid, press gently and hold for a few seconds.
- You'll get beautiful half-cooked rotis, very similar to the ones sold in stores.
Cooling & Storing
- As soon as each roti comes off the roti maker, cover it with a clean kitchen towel or a lid without letting the lid touch the rotis. If the lid touches them, that area becomes soggy.
- Allow the rotis to cool completely.
- Line an airtight container with paper towel to absorb any extra moisture.
- I separate every roti individually while stacking them so they don't stick together.
- You'll notice that the side touching the plate may stay slightly moist. I usually cook those first on the same day.
- Place another paper towel on top before closing the lid.
- If the paper towel becomes damp, simply replace it with a fresh one.
- Store the rotis in the refrigerator. I usually finish mine within a week.
How to Cook the Chapathis
- Heat a tawa well.
- Place a half-cooked roti onto the hot tawa.
- Once small bubbles begin to appear, flip it.
- When larger bubbles form or it starts puffing, flip again.
- Gently press with a spatula (without deflating it) until it puffs beautifully.
- Brush with a little desi ghee before serving. It gives the chapathis a wonderful flavour that reminds me of soft, flaky porotta.
How to Make Puris
- Heat enough oil for deep frying.
- Slide the half-cooked roti into the hot oil so it is completely submerged.
- It will puff up beautifully.
- Flip once and cook until both sides are golden brown.
- If making smaller puris, either prepare smaller dough balls from the beginning or cut the larger rotis into 2-4 pieces before frying.
Can They Be Air-Fried?
Yes!
I've also tried air-frying them.
Even without brushing them with oil, they still puffed up nicely and turned out very similar to khuboos. They were delicious too.
My Favourite Ways to Use Them
I almost always keep a container of these rotis in my refrigerator.
Alongside them, I usually stock homemade vegetable pickles. Pair them with a little yoghurt, and you have a simple, satisfying meal ready in minutes.
They're perfect for making:
- Soft chapathis
- Puffed puris
- Shawarma wraps
- Quesadillas
- Tacos
- Burritos and other wraps
- Lunch box rolls
- And for a quick sweet treat, simply spread one with your favourite chocolate spread, roll it up, and enjoy!
These half-cooked rotis have become one of my favourite meal prep staples. They save me so much time during busy weeks while giving my family fresh, homemade breads whenever we want them. Once you try this method, you'll understand why I always keep a batch ready in my fridge!



Comments
Post a Comment